Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Vow- Channing Tatum & Rachel McAdams


Ever since I was younger, but old enough to kind of know what love is about, I have always considered the saying, "I don't love you anymore" to be the most heartbreaking thing that could ever be said. To love someone and them not love you back has got to be the worst feeling in the world. To be left there with nothing else you can do, nothing to change their mind. And I mean really in love, not puppy love, not high school love where you are expecting it to end, I mean REAL love. And I know this sounds really girly and emotional, but if you just stop right now and put yourself in that position, to really think about it and pretend that it's reality, pretend that it is really happening... it's just too sad. 

That's what this movie is all about. Or at least that is how I interpreted it. (Spoiler) She gets in a car wreck and loses her memory of the last 5 years of her life. She doesn't remember her husband, she doesn't remember how they met, she doesn't remember their first date, their wedding day, their first year of marriage, their home, their friends, she doesn't remember who she is with him, only who she was before him, she doesn't remember any of her life with him... and he does. He remembers it all. He loses her. He loses all that he had with her. Not necessarily because she "fell out of love" with him, but because she just doesn't remember falling in love with him. He knows the love she had for him, and lost it all. AND she never gained it back! I mean, can you imagine? To think that my husband doesn't even remember who I am and all that we've shared together, and it's only been 7 months of marriage! They had 5 whole years together! 

The only reason I'm making this movie such a big deal is because it is based on true events. If this was just a made up story, I wouldn't think much of it except that it's another super cheesy chick flick. (And I mean super uncomfortably awkward cheesy.) But it's a true story! This really happened. Some man had to really suffer through all of this heartache. He had to divorce the love of his life because she didn't even know who he was. 

Maybe it's also because I'm a newlywed that this movie had so much effect on me. All I can say is that it was not the best movie to watch for Valentine's Day, it wasn't a "cute" movie at all, all it did was make me super sad, and I would not ever want to see it again. It's the second saddest movie I have ever seen in my life, and the first is The Pianist. The Pianist is about a Jew during the Holocaust! and The Vow comes in second?! I know it's crazy, but it just really made me sad.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I cried three times during this, and I don't cry at movies very often. But, if it makes you feel better, I read up on the real story, and I don't think they ever actually got divorced in real life. They're still together and have kids and everything. She still doesn't remember their first part of marriage, but she did fall back in love with them and I don't think they ever broke up. So maybe that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I saw the book at Walmart and I opened it to a random page and started reading. I think I read that they didn't split, but I mean, that still sucks that she doesn't remember everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oy this sounds too painful to watch. i had thought of seeing it...but nevermind. not ready for something like this just yet....or...ever...lol. thanks for the spoiler. usually i hate spoilers but...i'm glad i read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the spoilers. I try to warn people first because I hate them too!

    ReplyDelete