Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Breaking Bad- Season One


I haven't written about TV shows on here before, but seeing as I was requested to write about Breaking Bad, I thought, why not? I have tons of shows I like to watch. So here goes...

(Oh, by the way, this entire post will probably have spoilers. I don't think I can write much about it without giving some stuff away for those who haven't seen it yet.)

When I first started watching this show, I thought it was going to kind of be like CSI where there would be a new case and new characters each episode, so when I found out it was this same old ugly man, I was a little disappointed. Also, I apparently watch the uncensored versions of the episodes, and if you decide to watch this show, DO NOT watch the uncensored ones. It shows this ugly old man doing his wife, and I just don't like seeing a wrinkly old butt, not to mention this guys butt. For some reason, he just grosses me out. And yeah, I know old people like sex too, but I just like to pretend that they don't. Makes life more pleasant for me.

Anyway, so I understand the whole reason for Walt "breaking bad." He's poor, he has a baby on the way, and he's dying due to cancer, leaving his family with nothing. He's been jipped out of making a lot of money by some friends of his, and he just seems to be bitter and unhappy. So he goes into a business of selling meth with one of his old students, Jesse. I actually really like Jesse's character in the show. He tries to act like he's a bad-a, but he's really not. He's a dumb kid who gets caught up in bad stuff because he has no other way of making money, and everything bad just keeps happening to him. Besides the drugs and stealing, he seems like he just wants to be a good person. He's nice to his family and friends, and I actually kind of feel sorry for him because Walt is so mean.

So Walt and Jesse get into trouble with this drug dealer Krazy-8. First, Krazy-8 and his cousin try to kill them, and instead Walt does some crazy chemistry stuff that is supposed to kill Krazy-8 and his cousin instead. Now they have the problem of disposing the bodies. But then Krazy-8 turns out to still be alive, and now they have the problem of having to kill him because if they don't, Krazy-8 will go after them and their families. And then the other body is still deteriorating, so Jesse decides to put it in the bath tub upstairs in his house and put acid on it. But then the acid destroys the bath tub and the floor, and the nasty blood and guts falls through the bottom and lands all over the hallway downstairs and it is just super disgusting. This is the part of the show I didn't like. It kind of reminded me of those movies like "Meet the Fockers" where things just keep getting more and more complicated. One bad thing after another keeps happening and they can't move on to what they need to do because they are stuck cleaning up the messes they have made with these other two stupid fools. I almost stopped watching it at this point because I really find it annoying and frustrating when bad things just keep happening. But I kept watching...

After they are done with these people, they have to find another drug dealer so they can sell their meth and make some money. This is where the worst character of the entire show comes in: Tuco. Maybe I hate him so much because he reminds me of the stupid Mexicans I grew up around. He just acts sooooo stupid, I can't even describe it. Like when he sniffs the meth, he jumps around and yells like an idiot, like it's an immediate reaction, like he's possessed or something. He puts on a big show. I guess I feel like he is just super over-dramatic and fake. As much as I don't like him, I love this part of the show because it's where Walt grows some bigger cojones and starts taking charge. He's already killed a man and he's becoming less and less scared to take bigger chances with these gangs. 

The whole time Walt is going through this stuff, he isn't telling his family anything obviously. He keeps using his cancer as an excuse that he wants to be alone, and I'm always afraid his wife Skyler is going to catch on eventually. This show is funny in that it makes me hate Skyler because she keeps bugging him about where he's at everyday, and I just want her to leave him alone and stop nagging him. I keep thinking, dude, if you were dying, you would probably want to be alone sometimes too, so get off his nuts. It's like I want him to succeed. Maybe that's not a good thing. It's also interesting because Walt's brother-in-law Hank is with the D.E.A. and Hank's in charge of trying to find the maker of all the meth, which is Walt. I love Hank's character. The best description I can think of for Hank is MAN. He takes care of his family, and offers to take care of Walt's family if the case may be, and he loves to act like the big tough guy. He is the big boss man cop who jokes around with all his friends at work. He knows his stuff and likes to brag about it, but he does it in a fun guy-ish way. He's a light-hearted guy who tries to keep peace with his wife and Skyler, and just wants to keep his family happy and safe. He likes to take care of other people before himself, which is portrayed more in the second season. I think he's my favorite character so far.

Basically, the entire show keeps you on pins and needles. I always think something bad is about to happen no matter what they are showing. Even when they just show him lying in bed, I think something is going to bust through his window, or some member of a gang is lurking in another room ready to take him or his family captive. Things that happen are totally unexpected, and the stuff that Walt and Jesse end up doing, you just would never think they would actually go through with it, or even get away with it.

It's a really good show and I'm pretty much hooked. I'm almost finished with the second season so another update should be coming soon.


3 comments:

  1. It's funny how we can watch the same show and get such different things out of it. I think Walt is an idiot and I can't understand why he gets into meth - well, I guess why he gets into it yes, so I can't understand why he stays in it when he gets an easy out. Even if I had issues with my rich friend, wouldn't it be better than getting into the meth industry??

    I should also say I haven't watched past episode 5. I couldn't handle the gore and I'm not a huge fan of drama shows anyway. It was interesting but nothing REALLY hooked me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Maybe I should clarify. I obviously don't agree with him going into meth. I agree that he's an idiot and I would have just taken the money from the friends.

    AND if I were Skylar, I would be just as annoying and nagging, and I would definitely want to know, but for the sake of the show I just want her to get off his case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate with walt, he is not in the meth game for money- it's about respect. I read somewhere that women want to be cherished, while men want to be admired/respected. Walt isn't in the game for the money, he is just pathetic- His wife wears the pants in the family, his boss treats him like crap, he is a high school chemistry teacher when he should be a nobel prize winner, his son respects his uncle more than him even before he got into the meth game, his business partners became lovers behind his back while he was dating one of them and then they bought him out of a billion dollar company for 5 thousand dollars (which is why he can't allow them to pay for his treatments)- he just has never been respected in his life. Now in the face of death he has just realized that his whole life he hasn't been respected and is trying to fill that basic human need. However he holds on to bitterness as well, which, like in the count of monte cristo, is his downfall. This is why I believe breaking bad to be the best tv show of all time in my opinion- so much depth, so much playing on basic human needs. Now get to the next seasons val!

    ReplyDelete