Friday, August 24, 2012

Mad Men- Season 1


I have been hearing such good things about Mad Men for awhile. I listen to Carson Daly in the mornings on my way to work, and one morning he went on a rant about how good this show was. My husband even heard good things about it from twitter and the articles he reads, so he got it for us to start watching. I didn't know anything about Mad Men, so I really didn't know what to expect. I was hoping for something that kept me at the edge of my seat and made me want to watch the next episode right away. I mean, that's what a drama is supposed to do, right? But I was totally let down. It's an hour long show, and I feel that it just drags on and on. I guess I had set my expectations really high for Mad Men, and maybe another factor for not being impressed with it is because my husband and I had just finished Homeland (which I will write about later) and that show was super interesting and left us on a cliff hanger.

For Mad Men, I don't really see the point of the show yet; I haven't really caught on. I feel like there is no plot. It basically just shows how people lived in the 1960's. It shows the life of five different main characters, and one episode shows a different story about a different character, so it doesn't really pick up with the same story each episode. Like one episode will be about Don Draper and his slutting around, and then the next episode will be about Peggy and Pete with hardly anything with Don, or if they do show Don, it won't include his slutting around, just about his work or something. Super lame. It kind of reminds me of the first season of Smallville. In Smallville, the first season is about Clark figuring out all of his powers so it goes by super slow and is kind of boring. And the same for Mad Men. I figure they were probably just introducing the characters and building up stories around them. There have been a few moments during this season where it really caught my attention and got me excited, but then I was just let down with the next episode because it doesn't finish the story, but it doesn't leave me wondering either. 

Here's what I think about the main characters. First there is Don Draper. He's a married man with kids, but his story is that he is a major slut and basically thinks with his weener instead of his brain when it comes to women. Then there is his wife Betty who is so overwhelmed with how she looks and if she's skinny and pretty and blah blah blah. She doesn't want to be a housewife but a model instead. I can't stand either of them. Although, I do like the episodes with her in them rather than the ones with just Don. Then there's Pete, who works under Don Draper, and he sleeps around with Peggy, who is Don's secretary, and messes with her mind, because Pete is also married and uses Peggy as back-up. Pete is just a butt-hole, and I feel like he's just going to do something ridiculous every time he is in the show. I get anxious when the shows are about him. Peggy is super ugly, and I always feel scared for her because I think the others are going to do something awfully mean to her, but I kind of like her and how she stands up to people. But my favorite character of the whole show is Joan. She's the leader of the secretaries at the place where everyone works, and she is just so sassy? I don't know if that's the right word, but she is super confident, independent, and at first I thought she was going to be the B of the office, but she ends up to be a very good secret keeper and helps others out although she seems mean about it. I guess the other main character is Sterling Cooper, who the office is named after, but he's just as slutty as Don. Their stories are pretty much the same. They disgust me. 

Anyway,  that's pretty much my analysis on this show so far. I don't really care for it, but like most other TV shows, it probably gets better later. My husband and I finished this season about two months ago? maybe? But we have yet to start season 2...


No comments:

Post a Comment