Friday, December 9, 2011

The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins

When I first heard about this book at the beginning of this year I thought, no way would I ever read that. It's just some kind of stupid, political-type, futuristic book that I would never have an interest in. Even after I started hearing all this hoop-la about it as the year went on, I still didn't have any desire to start reading it. When I finally finished the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series, it was either The Help or The Hunger Games next. Since the library was out of both books, I decided to take my hour-long lunch breaks at Walmart so I could just read the books there for free while I ate instead of buying them. I know, ghetto. I started with the first few pages of The Hunger Games and it didn't catch my attention, so I went for The Help instead. Finally, I went out with one of the ladies from my ward, and we had the same interest in books, and she's the one that convinced me to read The Hunger Games, so I did, and.....

HOLY COW! I loved it! There's that saying "don't judge a book by its cover," well, I guess I can say don't judge a book by the first few pages either. You really got to get further into the book to start liking it. I finished the book in less than a week because it was so good, and it was pretty short. It's one of those books where at the end of every chapter it leaves you hanging, and you keep reading so you're not left at a cliffhanger, and then you're like, "DANG IT! It's frikin 11:30 at night!" (My bed time is 10, so that's late for me.) My husband even told me to put the book down because he was in the middle of a conversation with me; I guess I didn't know.

I don't really want to give a review about the book because it's still pretty new and many who might read my blog haven't even read it yet. So, what I will say is that I was right about it being a political-type, futuristic book, but that's still a reach. It has government, and it takes place in the time after North America is apparently blown to pieces or something, but it's mostly about the crazy things these children have to go through because the government has such control over the districts. I guess this will make more sense if you read it, which I obviously recommend. It's a pretty dark book, so dark I think if the movie really did the book justice it would definitely HAVE to be rated R.


2 comments:

  1. i love love love love this trilogy! cannot wait for the movie...i'm hoping they don't ruin it too much or butcher the integrity of the story BUT I am known for being too hopeful! We will see, we will see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no way is the movie gonna be as good as the book, not even close. There's is too much death and stuff for it to follow the book that well. But just like Twilight, I can't wait for the movies either.

    ReplyDelete